There are many physiological and hormonal changes that occur throughout the course of pregnancy that can lead to pain and discomfort. Firstly, the added weight of having a baby adds a significant amount of mechanical strain to the joints and soft tissues of the low back and hips. Also, some of the hormonal changes can cause ligaments to have more laxity and become looser. This often leads to dull achy pain in the back of the hips and buttocks areas. Fortunately, there are numerous safe and non-invasive techniques that chiropractors and massage therapists can use to help pregnant women.
What can chiropractors and registered massage therapists help with during pregnancy?
· Low back pain
· Sciatic pain
· Pelvic pain
· Mid back and rib pain
· Neck pain
· Hip, knee and ankle pain
· Carpal tunnel syndrome
What does prenatal treatment consist of?
· Chiropractic care to improve joint motion
· Massage therapy to release tight and stiff muscle tension
· Webster technique to restore proper biomechanics during pregnancy
· ART and Graston Techniques to reduce muscle pain, tightness and adhesions
· Therapeutic exercises to improve mobility and strength
What are some of the benefits of chiropractic care and massage therapy during pregnancy?
· Restore joint motion and reduce pain
· Reduce muscle tension and stiffness
· Improve posture
· Improve sleep quality
· Optimize fetal positioning in the womb
Chiropractic care and massage therapy are safe and non-invasive approaches to help pregnant women suffering from pain. Improving joint motion and releasing tight and stiff soft tissues can have many positive effects for both baby and mother and be a part of a healthy and happy pregnancy.